Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lewis Wetzel, A Relative With A Dark Past

Its interesting to find out about your ancestry and I must say that I haven't done a great deal of research on my own. But what I do know came from bedtime stories I was told at a very young age. I heard from my father stories about my great uncles in WWII and their travels on African safaris. I heard about my grandfather who was a principal of my father's elementary school. But there was one story that always seemed to catch my interest more than all the others and that was the one about my father's namesake, Lewis Wetzel. My father would tell me of the time he was captured as a boy by Native Americans and how he escaped. In my adult years I revisted this story and found that Lewis Wetzel was a person who made vengence his life. I can't say that I am proud to be his relative but I will say that I am fascinated by his story. Read it yourself as I have put a link to a good site about his life.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/spring97/wetzel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment